Primal Quest
Primal Quest 2015 Race Report Results: 3rd Place Overall By Katie Ferrington It’s been almost a week since we crossed the finish line for Primal Quest 2015. My brain still hasn’t completely returned to full speed as well as my body. Daily naps are required to get me beyond 6pm. My poison oak is calming […]

Primal Quest 2015 Race Report

Results: 3rd Place Overall

By Katie Ferrington

It’s been almost a week since we crossed the finish line for Primal Quest 2015. My brain still hasn’t completely returned to full speed as well as my body. Daily naps are required to get me beyond 6pm. My poison oak is calming down, but I still have residual “itches” from my heat rash and bug bites. The survival of my toe nails and even a couple toes remains to be decided. And definitely the toe numbness is here to stay for a while.  Something about hiking a bike 50 miles can do that. But as I think about the finish line at the Nevada – California state line, about the beer and hot chocolate double fisting, the lights, media attention and crowd, the team pride, and above all the feeling of absolute happiness and accomplishment, I know it was all worth it.

The beginning: Our team, Journey Racing, composed of Julian Tonsmeire, Fletcher Hamel, Olof Hedberg, and myself, arrived at the Hard Rock Hotel in South Lake Tahoe around 5pm August 18th. The 18th was supposed to be “early” check-in, the 19th regular check in and skills testing, and then the race was to begin on the 20th. We quickly found out, however, that we were the last team to arrive and that they would try to rush us through check in so that the morning we would be free to do skills testing and start the race. What?? Did we miss a memo? Roll with the punches team, we’re starting our quest a day early.  Get packing! That evening was the pre-race meeting and then off to bed.

Early morning then August 19th, we wake at 6am to get to our water skills check by 7am. However, we now have a major problem. Olof had a fever, sore throat, and serious congestion and was sounding like he may not be able to race. Julian, ever positive, told him to get back to bed and not worry about racing till that afternoon. I got pretty negative at that point and was mentally preparing to back out of the race also. Why put myself through that much pain and time away from family to be racing unofficially? We kept moving forward though that day with a water briefing, gear packing, and food prep for pre and during race. We did our best to get Olof race ready since this is apparently a team sport ☺  Julian put a call into Olof’s wife for advice on how to handle him. We made a trip to CVS for Dayquil, EmergenC, and Ricolla and dropped that off for Olof in the room.  Not much sign of life yet…will he race?  Around 12pm, Julian gets a phone call from Olof saying he’s up and just realized he needs to get ready to race!!  Oh yeah, we’re doing this. Grab 12 cheeseburgers from McDonalds for the gear bins and meet the team in the gear room to close bins and get ready to march.  1pm, procession (with a huge team flag) down the streets of South Lake Tahoe, ride the gondola to the top of Heavenly ski resort, and do a ropes skills check. Quick nap for Olof in the shade and then get to the start line. 3pm, GO TIME!

Run down the mountain, check. Paddle 5 miles in Lake Tahoe, check. Keep Olof’s heart rate down by allowing Julian to do all the paddling so Olof can rest. Yeah right. See you later guys, Fletcher and I will slowly bring up the rear. Olof didn’t rest. From then on, he was racing. Yeah, we kept encouraging him, “let’s just get to the next CP. Let’s just get to the TA. The ropes next!”  After the first paddle, we put our bikes together at TA 1 and then headed out for the night on bikes. Time to work out a few nutritional hiccups and get our pace together. Julian had his only weak moment of the race with a little bonk session which created our first of many LOL stories. Laying on the ground, Julian was encouraged by Fletcher to just puke and he’ll feel better. Exhausted, Julian heeded his advice, turned to the side, and emptied his stomach of water and whatever blueberry bar he had just eaten. Rule number 2 of adventure racing was created, don’t roll in your own puke. Thanks Fletcher for your help in arranging our fearless team captain out of his own puke night one.  (We’ll get to rule number 1 of AR later)  The rest of the bike continued to be interesting. We had a few nav errors on unmarked snowmobile trails and ran into our closest competition multiple times, teams NorCal and Tahoe/Helium. We were surprised to not be passed by our bike strong fellow Colorado team Seek Adventure. Turns out they were having their own issues (as all teams do).  Anyway, we’re on the Tahoe Rim Trail riding occasionally when Olof has bike issues. His right crank breaks and he can’t pedal with his right leg. Oh great. Lots of stopping for temporary repairs including duck taping a rock to the pedal.  Not bringing a camera, biggest mistake of the race.  Keep pushing forward to CP 2-3-4…I have no idea when we run into a race volunteer, Phil. Oh we love you Phil!!  Can we please please switch bikes with you?  Julian offers him $100 cash now, $100 cash later, and his credit card.  Phil confirms with RD Maria that that is allowed, and he selflessly allows Olof to use his NEW bike for the rest of the race.  Oh the places that bike will go.  (And he never accepted the money)

Now I go fuzzy with details. Which one was TA 2 or 3? When did we get back on bike or foot? When did we sleep?  I vaguely remember a very cold parking lot night 2 with snoring racers.  The dust and dirt were immense, so sinuses were all jacked up for everyone. This became an issue when trying to sleep next to Julian. In addition to his moans and groans, his snoring was out of control. The rest of the race, Olof and I tried sleep somewhere Julian was not. Fletcher seemed to not mind as much.  Good thing we never had to all pile in our tent.

The terrain was absolutely amazing and epic. Sunrise on foot (my favorite) morning 3 (or was it 4?) from the top of the Sierras, sunrise morning 4 while ascending Calaveras Dome 1400ft, sunrise at the base of the Rubicon trail, sunset from the Pacific Rim trail, and sunset while paddling the middle of Tahoe…every minute was epic, but the views during sunrise and sunset were the most incredible.

My toughest physical moment came during day 2…rappel with bike, ugh. After some confusion as to where to start the rappel and a bike whack, we arrived at the start of the rappel.  We found out then that the first and second place teams didn’t do it because they couldn’t find the start either. Hey! Not fair! Press on I guess. Thanks to Julian, we created the “how to rig your bike to your pack” and led all the other teams that had caught up by that point. Olof and Julian seemed to enjoy the challenge with Olof making his now famous quote, “I don’t always rappel with my bike. But when I do, I like to be the first.” Fletcher and I, however, weren’t so sure. After the weight of the bike and ropes were released to me standing on the edge of the cliff, my bike shoes slipped out from under me and I hit the deck. Nice knee and elbow gashes always are fun.  Over the edge we go, and wow, that’s a lot of intense pressure on my core. Breathe Katie, pull 600ft of rope up through my ATC, relax. Julian, again being a leader and positive, helped guide me one step at a time for what felt like an hour. We made it to the bottom to find out we still had some bike whack to do. Fun times.

My slowest moments came not due to any nutritional bonk, but instead due to sleep deprivation (aka sleep monsters) and intense foot pain. Early in the race, most likely due to so much hike a bike in bike shoes and my poor decision to wear new-ish shoes during the first trek, my feet became the main physical complaint. The 3rd night I required a little assistance to keep moving through the pain and sleep issues because we needed to make it to the ropes before our closest competitors (I didn’t’ sleep night 2 due to snoring TA racers). Doing so would be one of the critical moments of the race. We were then given 2 gifts. First, we found the pipeline that ran down the steep hillside that allowed us to move with a hand hold (we called the pipeline our best friend) and avoid the thick sticker bushes. Not only did this pipeline allow us to make good time descending 1500ft, but it woke us up. And in case my feet weren’t already hurting, this was a KO punch.  Second, we passed NorCal who had decided to set up tent and sleep at the top of the pipeline. We’re not sure why the decision to sleep then, but it put us to the ropes first which was huge. After a scramble up a climbers access trail (not well marked) another 500-1000ft, we found ourselves at the start of the ascent up Calaveras Dome. It was dark then, so the magnitude didn’t hit till a couple hours later.  Olof and I were hooked up first and away we went while Julian and Fletcher tried to nap at the bottom. I loved the ascent. Favorite part of the race. My weight to strength ratio and my background as a swimmer allowed me to move up the ropes pretty fast. Only a couple times did I allow my mind to pick out which rock I would go splat on below if my harness or the ropes failed. I made it to the top during sunrise and was rewarded with a little nap as I waited for the rest of the team to make it up.  Hopefully Fletcher’s fear of heights wasn’t a big issue.

We were in 3rd place. Julian commented that he had never before felt like he was being hunted, but the next few days he did. We all did. Every CP or TA our first question was, “where is NorCal?”  We just needed to keep moving.

The dark zone hit us before the first white water section, so although we were upset about allowing the other teams to catch us, we much enjoyed the 6 hours of sleep (and shower) it allowed us.  Morning came and we loaded the boats with NorCal and Tahoe/Helium. Julian and I were in the boat together and led the way since Julian was a prior white water instructor and could lead Olof and Fletcher’s boat through some amazing class 3+ rapids.  Awesome time, sweet rapids, and we were the ONLY team not to swim during this section. Way to go Julian and team!  We had passed the front of the water release and ended up hitting shallow areas with boat freeing maneuvers required. No biggie, TA time, and off on foot.  We have 18 hours to make it to the next white water section before the dark zone. GO TIME!

The next 16 hours were some of the most fun hours of the race. Never have I laughed so hard and much during an AR. Olof at one point decided to get a running start and jump some barbed wire which failed miserably. The board he used as a launch point broke and he came down right on the wire between his legs. The barb mainly caught his inner thigh with one good puncture wound. Once the excitement of the maneuver wore off, he was out on the ground while Fletcher and I cared medically for him. Julian went to scout the area on how to get out and returned to see 2 local home owners staring over us. It’s 2am, so super creepy for us and probably them. All they could say was, “why is there a person on the ground?” Yeah, I guess that looks suspicious. Julian explained the situation, we finished wrapping Olof’s leg, and off we go.  To avoid sleep monsters, we would ask each other either/or questions such as “19 year old Britany Spears or Christina Aguilera?” (every one of the guys answered Britany without a question.)  Julian then asked the best question of the race, “what is your end time plan?” Now I took this question as where am I going when I die which is heaven. Olof and Julian, however turned it into some sort of zombie apocalypse and what to do and not do when that day comes. Rule number 1 of adventure racing (and zombie apocalypse) was then created…”don’t get that shit” or more basic, “survive.” Above all else, survive.  The fun hike/run continued with super close calls by Fletcher and Olof being bitten by rattlesnakes (like inches) as well as a few swims. The first crossing was caught by some camera crew and were they given a show. The guys went naked except for the required PFD, and I kept on underwear and sports bra (no fun, I know). We laughed about the pics that were captured, “Swim Suit Calendar, Primal Quest edition.” The second swim of the night was the scariest across the middle fork of the American River. Again undressed, Julian took the lead across a pretty rapid river that rushed us all downstream a hundred yards. I lost a trekking pole, Olof lost a water bottle. We got dry and warm and continued moving fast and working well as a team to make the cut off for the next white water rafting section.

We hit the TA about 15-30 minutes before we were to board the truck for the North (or was it South) Fork of the American River rafting trip, complete with 4+ rapids and a guide. Since Godzone was dark zoned the night before, we caught up with them and hit the water at the same time.  Now normally this would be a thrilling rafting trip (which it was during the largest rapids), but we used this time to sleep in the raft. The poor guide seemed to understand as Team Bones had done the same the day before.  Try to sleep a little, get splashed a little, and then try to sleep some more. 5-6 hours later, we were at the TA, complete with 100 degree weather and lots of sand/dirt. Just what our swollen and blistered feet need! We unsuccessfully TA’ed quickly, got our bikes put together, and off we went on one of the longest bike sections ever in an AR. NorCal, again, was only about 1-2 hours behind.